From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 2 Oct 2016 01:00:59 -0400

There have been some very interesting public posts made about this Leontyne
Price reference to Pavarotti that have really amazed me.  To begin with, I
doubt whether there is a retired singer who is revered more than Leontyne
Price.  She sustained a very long career with class, dignity, superb
management, and with taste beyond the bounds of criticism.  She remains as
loved today as she was during the days of her spectacular career.  The same
cannot and never will be said about Pavarotti.
     Price knew her value, and she was not about to take second place to any
singer, especially Pavarotti.  So she demanded one dollar more than "the fat
"The fat man" was, in this instance, an apt description.  His treatment of
Renato Scotto in San Francisco three years earlier was well documented and
has also been written about in books.  I'm sure Miss Price was aware of
these goings-on and she was smart enough to know how to counteract it.  What
she said was said in the privacy of a manager's office.  It was Mr. Breslin
who made it public.  Some of you may remember when Joan Sutherland was
heaped with brickbats for saying some unflattering things about Kiri Ti
Kanawa, but these remarks were said in the privacy of her home.  Neither of
these soprano's remarks were said publicly.
     Have we become SO demented with "political correctness" that one can no
longer speak their minds in privacy??  Miss Price did nothing wrong and
neither did Miss Sutherland.
     As far as Mr. Bonynge is concerned, I say this:  when a person has
reached Mr. Bonynge's age, and has been through a long haul in this crazy
world of opera, and managed to survive, he has a right to say whatever he
wishes, especially if he's telling the truth, which he certainly is.  Maybe
it's a matter of "getting something off his chest", or perhaps a way of
venting for his own personal peace.
But there is nothing libelous here, and he has every right to reflect his
personal feelings.  Ditto for Leontyne Price.  I'm not implying that one can
say anything they wish just to hurt someone, but truth is truth.  A very
small indiscretion on the part of Miss Price is meaningless.  Ditto for Mr.
Bonynge.  The book that really put the light on Pavarotti's liabilities was
Jimmy Breslin, who almost goes so far to admits that he created a monster.
And so he did.
     It's enough already with "political correctness".  It's that very thing
which has helped put our society and country into the condition in which it
now finds itself.  It's enough already!  And then some other poster decided
to insert the name of Renata Tebaldi into this fracas.  Now THAT was totally
I also find it curious that Pavarotti never appeared opposite Birgit Nilsson
in Turandot, or any of the other Ialian roles like Tosca, Ballo, Aida, etc.
 Wisely, he knew that she was one soprano he'd NEVER be able to push into a
     He knew who to mess with and who to avoid, and he would never have
pulled fully stuff with either Price or Nilsson (who'd have sung him into
the ground!).
I hope that Bonynge writes a book, why he still yet may.  He may have not
been the ultimate conductor, but he had enough knowledge to make his wife a
star of stars.  I'm sure that both he and Marilyn Horne would have some
interesting stories to ell about Pavarotti.  Both know where the bodies ae

Modify your settings: