Subject: Radames/Rhadames
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 1 Oct 2016 18:08:53 -0400

On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 5:03 PM, Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Radames. Unless we're perhaps talking about an opera called Aidha?
> ("Botha" is correct, of course, lol. I just don't get why people out here
> keep trying to put an H in Radames. I've never seen it spelled that way,
> except on Opera-L.)

I've seen it in print. Jellinek spelled it as "Rhadames" in his "History
through the Opera Glass" and Mariette, whose brief plot was used for the
AIDA libretto, also transcribed it with "rh" in his letters to Verdi
(written in his native French). I know that I've seen it in some other
books, perhaps of the older vintage as the latinization changed over time
and "h" was generally dropped but it's still in use, though less common. I
think both are fine as is often the case with many other transcriptions.

Vesna