Subject: Re: Katia Ricciarelli
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Sep 2016 16:46:49 -0400

I heard Ricciarelli in Boheme (with Domingo) at Covent Garden in 1974.  It was one of the
most beautiful voices I've ever heard.  And then a fine Desdemona at the Met in 1978, with
Vickers and MacNeil.  But the quality dropped off precipitously shortly thereafter.  I don't
know why, but it was probably the usual - a combination of bad role choices and faulty
technique.  Emotional problems I don't know about, although she did have a fling with
Carreras in the mid-70s.  I think Ricciarelli had a much more beautiful voice than Suliotis, but
the latter was a very exciting, if audibly flawed, dramatic soprano for about 15 minutes
before her voice crashed and burned.  (And yes, that is an exaggeration - she probably had
two good years.)

MDW