Subject: Re: Katia Ricciarelli
From: Greg Keesler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Sep 2016 15:52:37 -0400

I, too, thought Ricciarelli had one of the loveliest voices I'd ever heard...and
those incredible pianissimi.  When she sang Amenaide in TANCREDI with OONY
in 1978 I thought that was the way she should have gone.  She had the
flexibility but of course, she didn't have a high E-flat but neither did Lella
Cuberli.

Those Amelias (BALLO), Aidas, etc. took a severe toll on her voice.  She
eventually went back to some Rossini, Donizetti, etc. but by then it was too
late.

I heard her in OTELLO in Munich in October, 1981 and she was in good voice.
She was in the LUISA MILLER Met broadcast the following January and she
was not having a good day.

I would venture that her LUISA MILLER recording on DG is one of her best but
even then you can begin to hear signs here and there of vocal deterioration.

She was supposed to record NORMA with Cuberli but I don't know if any
sessions were ever recorded.

Greg Keesler