Subject: Re: Katia Ricciarelli
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Sep 2016 15:39:53 -0400

Others will disagree but I believe she is one of the sopranos destroyed by
von Karajan. In the 80's he pushed her (and she accepted) roles that were
really too much for her voice, such as Turandot and Aida. She truly excelled
earlier in her career in lighter roles, and had she taken things more slowly
(or avoided some of the more challenging parts) would likely have had a much
longer career. It's sad, for she was superb early on.