Subject: Katia Ricciarelli
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Sep 2016 15:31:32 -0400

The career of Katia Ricciarelli is one I never paid much attention to, but I
stumbled on some YouTube clips of a London "Luisa Miller" from 1979.  As my
students would say, her singing there is "like seriously good" -- to me the
basic sound of the voice is more beautiful than Caballé's.  Hearing her at
the time I would have predicted she would mature into a splendid Norma.
What on earth happened?  Was it a case of di Stefano-like self-destruction,
or singing with a natural gift that just gave out at a certain point?  Aside
from di Stefano I can hardly think of a singer who sounded so good and then
so bad.

Thanks for any insight.

David Kubiak