Subject: Re: Don Giovanni at the Met
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Sep 2016 14:39:35 -0400

There was a review of this performance posted here a day or two
ago in which Giovanni - that is his name - was referred to throughout
as plain Don, as though Mozart's opera was about a guy named
Donald something.  I don't know how the tradition of calling him
"the Don" came about, but it has always irked me;  we never use
the title preceding Carlo, Pasquale or Jose that way, so why apply it
to Giovanni?  It's the equivalent of a commoner being known as "the
Mr."

dtmk