Subject: Re: Bonynge Interview about Pavarotti
From: Marc Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Sep 2016 13:46:25 -0400

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 12:16 PM, Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

They considered Pavarotti to have been lazy and unwilling to do the work
> which was really necessary to make him a great artist. A loved and natural
> singer with a great vocal endowment, certainly yes. But those qualities,
> formidable as they are, do not an artist make.

Up to about 1980 or thereabouts, a period that encompasses a substantial
part of his career, I would have no trouble classifying Pavarotti as an
"artist". At a certain point, he stopped creating and just "lived off the
interest", but I wouldn't deny the efforts that got him to where that was
possible.

--
Marc Shepherd
New York, NY