Subject: ARTISTS' EVENTS
From: Bob Dilley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Sep 2016 04:54:23 -0400

Forsooth Opera Lovers!

Today we can celebrate the birthdays of David Oistrakh (1908-1974) and
Giuseppe Campora (1923-2004).

Also, the following works premiered on this date:

Mozart's "Die Zauberflote" (1791)
Gershwin's "Porgy and Bess" (1935)
Bizet's "Les Pecheurs de Perles" (1863)
Offenbach's "L'Ile de Talipatan" (1868)

Let us remember Virgil Thomson (1896-1989) who joined Heaven's Choir on
this date.

The quote for today is:  ”I don’t want to write a mass before being in a
state to do it well, that is a Christian. I have therefore taken a
singular course to reconcile my ideas with the exigencies of Academy
rules. They ask me for something religious: very well, I shall do
something religious, but of the pagan religion. . . . I have always read
the ancient pagans with infinite pleasure, while in Christian writers I
find only system, egoism, intolerance, and a complete lack of artistic
taste."      Georges Bizet.

VINTAGE ICON RADIO SHOWS PREMIERES:  On this date in 1940 THE CAPTAIN
MIDNIGHT radio show starring Dave O'Brien made its popular debut.  Also
on this date in 1951 THE RED SKELTON radio show made its illustrious
debut.

A 29 September BOO BOO:  Yesterday I erroneously posted  Richard Bonyge
as 1930-1972.  The 1972 date was a gross error on my part.  Happily, I
can report that he is still with us thankfully.  My apologies to Richard
and the Opera forums for this inadvertent error.

As always, a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our birthday artists for today and
all forum members who share their birthday with them.

ARTISTS' EVENTS salutes these artists for their enduring contributions
to the world of classical music.

ARTISTS' EVENTS honors the following Hall of Fame peerless artists for
their profound contributions to the world of opera:

Tenor of all tenors Enrico Caruso (25 February 1873-2 August 1921)
Coloratura prima donna assoluta Erna Berger (19 October 1900-14 June
1990)
Soprano prima donna assoluta Rosa Ponselle (22 January 1897-25 May
1981)
Prima contralto assoluta Fedora Barbieri (4 June 1920-4 March 2003)
Baritone unequaled Leonard Warren (21 April 1911-4 March 1960)
Basso profundo of all bassos Ezio Pinza (18 May 1892-9 May 1957)

In memory of the following first rate artists for September 2016:

Primo tenore Set Svanholm (2 Sep 1904-4 Oct 1964)
Coloratura stupenda Erika Koth (15 Sep 1927-28 Feb 1989)
Soprano prima donna Meta Seinemeyer (5 Sep 1895-19 Aug 1929)
Contralto assoluta Blanche Thebom (19 Sep 1915-23 Mar 2010)
Baritone unparalleled Pablo Elvira (24 Sep 1937-5 Feb 2000)
Basso profundo Nicolai Ghiaurov (13 Sep 1929-2 Jun 2004)
Distinguished virtuoso Alfred Cortot (26 Sep 1877-15 Jun 1962)
Preeminent conductor Eduard van Beinum (3 Sep 1901-13 Apr 1959)
Premier composer Arnold Schoenberg (13 Sep 1874-13 Jul 1951)
Featured premier Giaochino Rossini's "La Gazzetta" 26 Sep 1816

NON CLASSICAL RECORDINGS OF MERITORIOUS ARTISTIC EXCELLENCE:

"Mas Canciones," Linda Ronstadt
"Canciones de Mi Padre," Linda Ronstadt
"Jardin Azul: Las Canciones Favoritas," Linda Ronstadt
"Greatest Italian Songs," vol 1, Connie Francis
"Greatest Italian Songs," vol 2, Connie Francis
"Spanish and Latin American Favorites," Connie Francis
Bing Crosby: "White Christmas," with sales of over 100 MILLION copies.
Also, he was the best recording artist of the 20th century with over
half a BILLION records in circulation.

May ARTISTS' EVENTS put a smile on your face and a song in your heart
each day.

Pace e Gioia,

Bob Dilley
FIAT VOLUNTAS DEI