Subject: Recorded arias that are supreme historic examples of Mozart singing?
From: Jon Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 22 Sep 2016 22:03:47 -0400

This is obviously a very personal matter.

The 2-CD collection MET STARS SING MOZART, programmed and annotated by the late David Hamilton, offers an excellent cross-section of Mozart singing, but historic and contemporary. It includes some of the items I would list.

Teresa Berganza: "Ch’io mi scordi di te?"
(Her "Parto, parto" and "Come scoglio” from the same Mozart disc are also very fine.)

Helen Donath: “Ach, ich fühl’s” (from the complete recording conducted by Suitner)

Arleen Auger: “Martern aller Arten” (from the complete recording conducted by Böhm)

Leopold Simoneau: “Un’aura amorosa” (from the complete recording conducted by Karajan)

(I myself would not have included the Ivogün Queen of Night, but if they work for you, use them.)

> On Sep 22, 2016, at 9:10 PM, Conrad, Stephen A. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Please give me tips to share with a student that will fill the bill as above specified.
> I am starting him off with an example that is about as unimpeachable as I know of: John McCormack's "Il mio tesoro."
> Ivoguen's Queen of the Night arias, yes?
> examples that are "beyond reproach"?   "human approximations of Mozartian perfection," a la Clara Haskil . . . ?
> Less a consensus classic, but an example that for me fills the bill is a 1956 live "Ach, ich fuehls" by Gruemmer.
> Pray give me your tips; and your comments would be doubly welcome.

Jon Alan Conrad
Associate Professor of Music
Department of Music
University of Delaware