Subject: Re: Bjoner
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 28 Sep 2016 12:29:18 -0400

Bjoner was my first Isolde - in San Antonio in 1971 (with Jean Cox, Nell Rankin and Walter
Cassel, conductor Victor Alessandro, San Antonio Symphony music director).  I remember her
well.  She was a beautiful woman.  That was San Antonio's first "Tristan," I think (there may
have been one in the 50s with Varnay) and we had a Bayreuth-style dinner break after Act I!
Vivid memories.  I remember especially Bjoner's Liebestod.  I did not really know "Tristan" at
that point (my Freshman year in High School), although I was by that time deep into opera
generally.  But it made quite an impression on me and was one of the things that inspired my
life-long love affair with the operas of Wagner.

MDW