Subject: Re: Apollo Granforte
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 28 Sep 2016 07:56:29 -0400

Hi Isaac and list

As a native, Isaac, you may know, or be interested to find
out, that Granforte sang in the Australian premiere of Andrea
Chenier in 1924. It was one of his most often performed operas.

He appeared in opera and concert in Australia and New Zealand nearly
300 times during three very long seasons. It has been said that, Joan
Sutherland aside, he sang there in opera more frequently than any
other singer in recorded history. Like you, I am a great admirer of
his voice, which I hear as "tsunamic" in its breadth.

His four complete opera performances - Pagliacci, Tosca, Trovatore
and Otello, are impressive, both as music and as drama, though his
colleagues sometimes fall short, particularly Maria Carena in
Trovatore.

He loved the microphone and left a most impressive legacy,
among which "Zaza, piccola zingara" has always struck me as
approaching perfection. But it is Puccini's "Inno di Roma" that
offers a torrent of sound the likes of which may be unequalled
in my experience.

Thanks for mentioning him. He is a passion of mine!

Bob