Subject: Fwd: Rejected posting to [log in to unmask]
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 28 Sep 2016 00:13:57 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 11:03 PM
To: Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>

When the subject of "great" Isoldes comes up, my thoughts always turn to the
missing one, the one chosen to portray Wagner's "Irische Kind" in the famous
hundredth anniversary production of the opera at Munich in 1965, she whose
interpretation became famous around the world, including many cities in the
US, except New York, and whom I traveled to Montreal to hear as Isolde with
Jon Vickers, only to have her replaced by Roberta Knie, and who also sang
it under Leonard Bernstein in at least one concert version that was actually
broadcast from Tanglewood around 1970, and which no one seems to have
heard, let alone taped! - Ingrid Bjoner.  Except for an inadequate Vienna
"live recording" from that year, this important Isolde remains virtually
unknown.

dtmk