Subject: Lawrence Brownlee interview + two other reviews
From: Jason Victor Serinus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 27 Sep 2016 16:01:10 -0700

Scaling the Heights with Lawrence Brownlee
As anyone who attended this year’s Opera in the Park can attest, tenor
Lawrence Brownlee, 43, is at the top of his game. A high tenor who can
summon uncommon weight and gravitas in the center of his tone, Brownlee
first garnered attention when he won the Metropolitan Opera Auditions in
2001. A year later he made his professional debut at Virginia Opera in what
has become one of his signature roles, Count Almaviva in* Il Barbiere di
Siviglia*. He also sang at La Scala, Milan that year… On September 8,
Brownlee and I spent close to an hour together at the War Memorial, Opera
House. We began with the arc of his career. <snip>

A 21st-Century Prokofiev Echoes Life In The City

SEATTLE — How many “young” contemporary composers relish being compared to
their more famous relatives? I’d wager there aren’t many. Certainly Samuel
Adams <>, 30, has managed to acquit himself
quite well while sharing the same program with his famous father, John
<>. But in the case of U.K. resident Gabriel Prokofiev
<>, 41, sharing the program with his late
grandfather, Sergei, <>
may not be a great idea. <snip>

*Steve Reich 80th Birthday Celebration*

One of America's most vital living composers—New Yorker Steve Reich—turns
80 on October 3. In celebration, Deutsche Grammophon and ECM, two companies
that greatly helped build Reich's reputation by recording his initially
uncategorizable forays into minimalism, have reissued their seminal
efforts. Given that all recordings feature members of the Steve Reich
Ensemble (including the composer), and that Reich would not authorize
performance and recordings of his work by others until 1990, the recordings
are definitive (footnote 1).

Jason Victor Serinus     Whistler
Extraordinaire: **The Voice of Woodstock • The Pavarotti of Pucker**
Music and audiophile critic: Seattle Times, Port Townsend Leader,
Stereophile, Listen, San Francisco Classical Voice, Bay Area Reporter, Gay
City News, American Record Guide, Classical Voice North America, Stanford
Live, Opera Now, Copper, and more

"Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the
tormentor, never the tormented.” — Elie Wiesel

“This is a time to remember all of us who are LGBTQ. It’s a time to stand
out and be proud, to parade who we are, to celebrate and to let them know
we will not be silenced, we will not be stopped, we will not go back into
the closet. Together, we will love.” — JVS at our Orlando Massacre Support
Rally in Port Townsend, WA

Modify your settings: