Subject: Rosa Ponselle - Joan Sutherland - Herman Malamood and much more
From: Rudi Van den Bulck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 27 Sep 2016 23:03:20 +0200

operanostalgia’s October issue is now on-line.
It features a tribute by pianist (and Flagstad biographer) Edwin McArthur in
1987 honoring Rosa Ponselle's 90th anniversary. The presentation is
illustrated with rare photos from the Charles Mintzer collection.
With the Jewish High holidays ahead we wish our Jewish readers a happy New
Year, to celebrate this we uploaded (and linked to) a few Jewish related
items of great rarity and interest :
Listen to Arthur Sullivan sung in yiddish, tenor Herman Malamood in rare
cantorial recordings and La Juive. Legendary cantors of yesteryear including
the ‘blind cantor’ Moishele Soorkis.Soorkis who originated from Kiev, came
to the US in 1913 and officiated in synagogues in Philadelphia, Chicago,
Boston and New York. His flexible tenor voice has both a lyric and a
dramatic coloration.
Moshe David Steinberg  (1871-1941) initiated his cantor 'career' in Odessa
and came to the US in 1924. His melodious voice has a warm quality; his
trill might well have been the envy of any operatic singer. Listen to him in
Hama'vir Bonov. The remarkable feature about this recording is that the
cantor uses part of the Seder scene from Halévy's La Juive !!
Our book review features THE VANISHED MUSICIANS, Jewish Refugees in
Australia by Albrecht DUMLING, and our CD review features a fabulous 4 Cd
release by Désirée records of Joan Sutherland’s 1965 J.C. Williamson Grand
opera tour.
Please visit www.operanostalgia.be ‘s homepage.

RvdB