Subject: Re: A minute and 36 seconds of Nina Stemme in ‘Tristan und Isolde’
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 27 Sep 2016 11:33:57 -0400

This enthusiasm for Nina Stemme is utterly bizarre to me.  I finally turned
off the radio because I could not bear to hear another note from her.  A
wobble you could drive a truck through and high notes like a tentative
coloratura. She seemed a combination of Gabriella Schnaut and Gwyneth Jones,
with a little Martha Mödl thrown in.  Just dreadful, dreadful, ugly singing,
a technique so poor that it made irrelevant to me anything she might attempt
to do dramatically.

Did Tristan make it through Act III?  He started well enough but was already
in trouble at the end of Act I.

David Kubiak