Subject: "Tristan und Isolde" at the Met, opening night...Sept. 26, 2016
From: danielkessler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 26 Sep 2016 23:24:18 -0400

No doubt the Met attempted to put together a glamor cast...certainly soprano Nina Stemme would seems to be the "Isolde" of choice these days... and I think she did well...Stuart Skelton has the vocal heft for Tristan...but I would not call him a glamorous singer...Ekaterina Gubanova did well as Brangaene, as did Evgeny Nikitin as Kurvenal and it was certainly luxury casting to have René Pape as King Mark.  Sir Simon Rattle kept things moving along nicely in the pit and the Met orchestra played marvelously.

...I have to register disappointment with Mariusz Trelinski's production...the sets by Boris Kudlieka looked far too "high tech" and lacked atmosphere... and the projections were irritating and not inventive...I certainly would not want to see this production again!  Surely, the Met could have done better!

Dan Kessler

Modify your settings: