Subject: Re: Tebaldi Aida under Karajan
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 26 Sep 2016 13:06:02 -0400

I'll comment only on Simionato, since, overall, I really do not much
like this recording, especially the much too loud orchestra, and the
often out of tune Tebaldi. The oft asserted observation that it's only
the top C in "O Patria Mia" is a "pants on fire" comment..
Enough on that!

Simionato strikes me as fine on this performance, but if anyone wants
to know just how great her Amneris could be, turn to the Aida from
Tokyo in 1961 with Tucci, Del Monaco and Protti under Capuana. Hers
is among the dozen, or so, most remarkable performances I've ever
heard. From the deepest chest tones, to the most brilliant tops
imaginable, in that music, she astounds, both musically and dramatically.
The Judgment Scene is truly jaw dropping!

Tucci is a wonderful Aida, with superb pianissimi, and the men are fine.
It is a very impressive recording, overall.

The sound, as preserved on the Frequenz label, is superb, studio quality,
more or less.

I know Simionato's Amneris from a number of revivals,, but this one
is in a place apart. If you are a fan, treat yourself to the best. It cost
me
about seven bucks twenty years ago. I doubt it's even that much these
days.

Bob