Subject: Re: Tebaldi Aida under Karajan
From: Laurence Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 25 Sep 2016 17:11:42 -0400

I can't say anything about the von Karajan Aida because I haven't heard it in
many, many years. But I can say something about Tebaldi's Aida, Bergonzi's
Radamès and Simionato's Amneris, as I saw all there in those roles at the Met.

In 1955, Tebaldi's Aida was magnificent (she did not sound like Mimi lol).Her
voice was huge when necessary, plus gorgeous mezzo voce and ppp singing;
and any notes under the C were big, round and gorgeous. Her's and Price's are
my two favorite, live Aidas. Yes, I did see Milanov in the role. Numi pietà.

I was at Bergonzi's Met debut in Aida(also Stella's). Yes, he is a Radamès. I
preferred his to Corelli's, which I also saw.

Simionato, my very favorite Italian mezzo was a great, great  Amneris although
her voice was not as huge as Gorr's and probably Zajic's. I adore her.

My first Aida recording in the 50's was the Milanov, Jussi, Warren, Barbieri one,
which I loved at the time, especially Jussi and Christoff.
To give you all a big laugh, the only Aida recording I now listen to is the Callas,
Gobbi, Tucker, Barbieri mono recording. LOL