Subject: Re: Examples of supreme singing of Mozart arias
From: Jon Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 24 Sep 2016 20:31:50 -0400

On Sep 24,' 2016, at 6:16 PM, Max D. Winter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> (2) Not an aria, but the trio, "Soave sia il vento," from the 1954 Karajan recording of "Cosi
> fan tutte," is for me one of the most exquisite three minutes in the history of recorded
> opera: Schwarzkopf, Merriman and Bruscantinni, singing over the gentle murmuring strings
> of the Philharmonia Orchestra.  This is one of the pieces of music I think I want to hear as I
> am dying.  The music, and the performance of it, is absolute beauty.

I certainly donít disagree with the beauty of this rendition (this exquisite trio has had several splendid recordings ó a lovely one was made specially for the movie Sunday Bloody Sunday, with Pilar Lorengar, Yvonne Minton, and Barry McDaniel). But if weíre delving into this particular ensemble, I must mention the version dearest to my own heart: the achingly beautiful rendition by Leontyne Price, Tatiana Trojans, and Ezio Flagella for the underrated Leinsdorf recording on RCA.  After trying to like this opera through other recordings, I immediately learned to love it when I heard this one.

The pairing of the voices of Price and Troyanos is so ideal (their vibratos and timbres match uncannily) that itís surprising that this is the only time they recorded together.

Jon Alan Conrad
Associate Professor of Music
Department of Music
University of Delaware