Subject: Re: Examples of supreme singing of Mozart arias
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 24 Sep 2016 18:16:29 -0400

Two additional suggestions:

(1) Elisabeth Schumann's recording of "Deh vieni, non tardar" - exquisite.  Much more
portamento than we are used to today, but she brings if off because she has the legato and
style to sing beautiful portamenti.  She makes the aria sound so erotic (which, of course, it
is supposed to be - a bride inviting her husband to bed on her wedding night):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_MCyvvV-dE

(2) Not an aria, but the trio, "Soave sia il vento," from the 1954 Karajan recording of "Cosi
fan tutte," is for me one of the most exquisite three minutes in the history of recorded
opera: Schwarzkopf, Merriman and Bruscantinni, singing over the gentle murmuring strings
of the Philharmonia Orchestra.  This is one of the pieces of music I think I want to hear as I
am dying.  The music, and the performance of it, is absolute beauty.  Do yourself a favor
and listen to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPshz3-3p-M

MDW