Subject: Re: Recorded arias that are supreme historic examples of Mozart singing?
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 24 Sep 2016 08:04:29 -0400

On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 13:26:07 -0400, Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Controversial choice. maybe not a supreme historical example, but I really enjoy Tebaldi
singing Dove sono. Perhaps it is the steadiness or the overall character of the voice fits the
aria well, but how many Italian singers now or in the past really sing Mozart much or well?

>Mezzomaniac

Actually, there are a good number. including Graziella Sciutti, Sesto
Bruscantini, and Ilva Ligabue.  Ligabue was a superb Countess when
the Rome Opera brought a stunning production of "Figaro" to the Met
in 1968, and I saw her as a wonderful Donna Elvira at Rome in the early
seventies. Bruscantini was an extraordinary Don Giovanni in that
revival.

Bob