Subject: Re: Examples of supreme singing of Mozart arias
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 24 Sep 2016 05:42:02 +0000

I'm sure that some of you are aware of this recording I have, but I don't know if it's still available. It's on London/Decca and it's called simply MOZART; THE CONCERT ARIAS, and it's a five CD set housed very nicely in a compact box. It features Kiri Te Kanawa, Edita Gruberova, Teresa Berganza, Gosta Wingergh, Deitrich Fischer-Dieskau, Fernando Corena in addition to two other singers with whom I'm unacquainted (Krisztina Laki and Elfriede Hobarth.
There are some beautiful things on this very extensive set and some spectacular singing by all the participants. Some of these pieces are lengthy, but all are worth hearing. In fact, I had no idea that Mozart wrote so many concert arias and I have no idea as to how many of those presented here were never recorded before. That beautiful and celebrated "No temer" as sung by Teresa Berganza is performed here as well.
Elisabeth Schwarzkopf recorded her version this aria in 1968 with George Szell conducting. It's nice to have, but for some reason (perhaps the recording techniques employed by Walter Legge) Schwarzkopf sounds rather "washed out" and "faded". It may be the recording because I have some recitals of hers that were recorded after this one and she sounds much more vibrant and brighter. Also, there are two superb Schwarzkopf Mozart recitals: Mozart Arias (recorded in 1952) and Mozart Songs (recorded in 1954 with piano accompaniment by a very famed and eminent pianist (whose name now escapes me ---- I should know this but just can't remember).
All of these recordings contain superb Mozart singing.