Subject: Re: Examples of supreme singing of Mozart arias
From: Tom Wikman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 24 Sep 2016 02:03:12 +0000

I've heard many fine and even great Giovanni casts. But tragically, I'veheard very few great Giovanni conductors. I've heard big-name conductorsjust slaughter the piece. Most of these have probably been folks who havemade their names conducting symphony orchestras. Mostly, their faultsare two-fold. 1) Total inability to conduct accompanied recitative. These arelargely where the singers do their major acting. They are written metricallyon the page, but are not performed that way. The conductor must be ready
jump in on a split-second notice, no matter what the page says. Many times,these orchestral interjections are very difficult for the instrumentalists, especiallyif the emotions are very agitated. Anything less than supreme command fromthe conductor usually results in disaster. 2) Total inability to immediately establishthe correct tempo for the aria or ensemble that follows. I've known many greatsymphonic players who have played very little opera. I have had to explain at lengththat just a couple of metronome markings off on an aria can turn what shouldhave been a great performance into a painful throwaway. Also, many are absolutely attacca from the recit; anything less completely falls on its face. If it is an ensemble
that follows, perfection is even more critical, as you probably are facing many timechanges. Putting a wrong foot forward endangers whole scenes.
Now, of course, I'm not referring to Boehm (or Pritchard), but sometimes I've wantedto scream at conductors who have out a lot of recordings, but are crapping all overone of the great operatic creations. Reiner began his conducting classes at Curtisaddressing these two concerns, and if you couldn't master them, pronounced you"Total unbegabt!" (totally untalented.)