Subject: Re: Examples of supreme singing of Mozart arias
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 23 Sep 2016 19:23:35 -0400

If it is possible that a complete performance of a Mozart
opera exists that might be considered as "supreme singing
of a Mozart opera" the 1957-8 production of Don Giovanni
at the Met comes as close as this World has ever offered, at
least in my experience -

Steber, Della Casa, Peters, Valletti, Siepi, Corena and
Uppman, conducted by Bohm - was my first experience
with a Mozart opera, though I saw first in 59-60, and it
has informed my ideas of great Mozart singing (and
conducting) for nearly sixty years. I went to every
performance in the 59-60 season, and I was fortunate
to see George London as an almost equally compelling
Don, and Lucine Amara as a fine Elvira. The revival
approached perfection!

BTW, Sena Jurinac  as Ilia was as great as Mozart
singing ever gets, and I would suggest that Pilar
Lorengar at Salzburg in 1961 approaches her.
I doubt that this forum could ever exhaust the list of
great Mozart vocal performances. I could do hundreds
without hesitation.

Bob