Subject: Re: Recorded arias that are supreme historic examples of Mozart singing?
From: Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 23 Sep 2016 13:26:07 -0400

Lilli Lehman: Ach, ich liebte.  I think this aria is one of the most difficult in the entire soprano repertoire. Everything about it, especially that is the first aria Konstanze sings in the opera and she has to pop out very exposed high Ds repeatedly.

I concur with Teresa Berganza singing Come scoglio.

Eleanor Steber: Per pieta. (Come to think of it, any Mozart this woman sings is in the Olympic pantheon.)

Sena Jurinac (her first recordings of Ilia's arias from Idomeneo, from the highlights, not the complete recording, though both versions are still close to peerless)

Controversial choice. maybe not a supreme historical example, but I really enjoy Tebaldi singing Dove sono. Perhaps it is the steadiness or the overall character of the voice fits the aria well, but how many Italian singers now or in the past really sing Mozart much or well?

Mezzomaniac