Subject: Opera at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion
From: Kathy Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 6 Aug 2016 16:20:40 -0400

I don't much post here because I do believe that there are many good singers who were
born after 1930.  Though I do agree that none are household words.  OTOH, I imagine
that if Angela Georgiu decided to become Donald Trump's 4th wife, as with Callas and
Onassis, she too would become a household name.

Re:  Opera at the DCP.  I suspect that Mr. Kessler has not been near Bunker Hill for
awhile.  It is now surrounded by condos and apartments (one of which houses Mr.
Domingo, who actually DOES have choices).  Trudging up Bunker Hill you will be going
past several private clubs whose names don't appear on their doors, lest the unwashed
might discover where they are, as well as numerous fine restaurants.  Condos and lofts in
the area start at about $700, 000 for a studio - which many homeless people would find
difficult to afford, as would they find it problematic to pay the $2500 rent for same 500
square foot studio.  It is called gentrification - for better or for worse, downtown LA is
evolving from decrepit inner city to a trendy, lofty place to be.  We could of course
mention the free summer events at California Plaza (near the Omni, which is within very
safe walking distance of the DCP), or in Grand Park, the Colburn School (look it up - its
graduates are in every major symphony orchestra), the new Broad Museum, MOCA, etc.
Or we could talk about First Thursday art walk, which draws about 30, 000 people per
event.

As I am a past president and current board member of the Opera League of LA, I won't
bother to defend LA Opera - which needs no defending anyhow.  Try looking at the season
and the casts - you will likely be surprised.

Nor will I bother mentioning Long Beach Opera, The Industry, or Pacific Opera Project's
programs because they offer opera that was written after 1925 or has been updated to
appeal to current aged audiences.  I'll just assure you that it pretty much all sells out
nowadays.  We also have several notable symphony orchestras, one of them with a Latin
American name.  We in LA are happy he got here before they build the fence :-)