Subject: Re: The Callas discussion
From: Jason Victor Serinus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 5 Aug 2016 21:32:20 -0700

I regret that you did not read my posting carefully, Bob. I specifically
said,

"The only way to adequately assess
her commercial output is by referencing either the original LPs or the
latest, hi-res (24/96) remastering. All other CD transfers pale in
comparison... Most people on Opera-L, I realize, lack the ability to play
24/96 files.
Getting the latest masterings on CD are your best alternative. All the
intervention of numerous previous sound engineers and producers is gone,
and what is left is as close as you're going to get. Depending upon the LP
pressing, some of these hi-rez masterings sound better than the original
LPs."

Such a response, which directs people to the LPs and to the latest CD
pressings, is hardly snotty, uppity, or pitiable. In addition, my earlier
posts on the subject of hi-rez playback have made quite clear that for an
investment of under $300, one can easily play hi-rez files on any computer
equipped with a USB port and external speakers.

jason victor serinus

--
---