Subject: Re: The Most Important Soprano Since Callas and Sutherland?
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 4 Aug 2016 18:53:35 -0400

Les

I could not disagree more.  Her 1951 performance from Naples,
with Lauri Volpi, Elmo and Silveri, is absolutely breathtaking in its
dramatic breadth and its technical facility. The performance was
roundly booed, but Lauri Volpi said the following day that while
everyone else deserved the audience's outbursts of disapproval,
Callas was magnificent and in a place apart from the rest of the
cast. I agree!

The Karajan studio recording shows her in compromised voice at the
very top, but her ability to sculpt a musical line, even in less than
flawless voice, is one of the miracles of vocalism in the modern era.
Her phrasing is jaw dropping!! I realize that there are many ways of hearing
music, and that her voice is an issue for some, but those for whom her
vocalism is a problem, know iittle about music, rhythm, phrasing or
dynamics. She had no equal as an interpreter of music, even on a bad
day!

Bob