Subject: Re: The Most Important Soprano Since Callas and Sutherland?
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 4 Aug 2016 12:10:33 -0400

Mike Leone wrote:

"I saw one of Netrebko's performances of Trovatore at the Met and absolutely could not
believe I was sitting there during her "D'amor sull'ali rosee" and hearing what was probably
the single most gorgeous piece of singing I had ever heard in my life."

I agree completely that Netrebko is an outstanding singer who can stand on her own
without fatuous and preposterous comparisons to Callas and Sutherland.  In any case, I
don't think the comparison is necessarily flattering to Netrebko; inflating a singer's talents,
however considerable, beyond their scope diminishes rather than exalts.

I thought Netrebko's Lady Macbeth at the Met a couple of years ago was sensational, quite
the best I have heard or seen, live, since Shirley Verrett in 1976.  And I agree completely
with Mike Leone that her Leonora last season was one of the great ones in my experience.
(Before that run of performances, I had despaired of ever again hearing "Trovatore" sung by
four singers in complete vocal and stylistic command of their roles.)  Netrebko's true fach is
in the spinto repertoire and in that, at the present time, she is the best.

But notwithstanding her considerable gifts, Netrebko is not a singer of historic significance
like Callas and Sutherland, nor does she have the all-encompassing vocal technique of those
two great ladies.  Only the fatuous James Camner, whose fan-boy effusions are the critical
equivalent of all-caps and exclamation marks, would be silly enough to make such a
comparison which flatters no one, certainly not Mr. Camner himself.

MDW