Subject: Re: The Most Important Soprano Since Callas and Sutherland?
From: Tom Ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Aug 2016 21:27:53 -0400

Though I never saw her live, I have been very impressed with what I have
seen and heard of Anna Netrebko, on TV and on YouTube.  Probably because
I am not a musician or an expert on singing, I was very fond of Anna as
Lucia, in Puritani and especially Anna Bolena. I loved her Lady Mac Beth, and
thought her Trovatore Leonora was one of the very best I ever heard vocally
and dramatically superior to either Caballe or Price, my two favorite
Leonora's before Anna. Sorry, but I always thought Callas was overrated in
this role, especially in the upper range. Your comments on Sutherland,
however, border on the absurd. True, she was a large and less than beautiful
woman, but that can be said of most operatic sopranos.  Vocally, Sutherland
had a huge voice that was very agile with an extraordinary upper range and
great trill. Her voice was probably nearly twice as large as Sills was, so it
would seem to me her trills might be easier to perform. Some have said that
Sills over did her trills, like Caballe may have over used her piano singing.
Joan, like other great singers could act with their voice. She and Bergonzi,
not considered great stage actors, were amazing vocally and dramatically in
the last act of Norma when I saw them at the Met. The emotions came
through the voice, loud and clear to my ears.