Subject: Re: The Most Important Soprano Since Callas and Sutherland?
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Aug 2016 19:40:45 +0000

Hermine:
THAT is true --------- especially regarding Callas. Stories and photos about her were constantly appearing about in such publications as The National Enquirer, The Globe ,
The Star, and all the tabloids. I remember seeing her in newspaper headlines when I was in my teens, as well as on the TV news. Her disputes, Onasis, her photos everywhere in sight, etc. She was seen and photographed with Liz Taylor, Grace Kelly, and was friends with a lot of people in show biz, even after she stopped singing. She was a celebrity in every sense of the word and a true "A lister" both here and in Europe. Now her face is showing up on capes and jackets by some designer.
Joan Sutherland did not get exposure to this extent, but was well known in the world as well via her spectacular singing. What is interesting is that Callas started getting most of this super stardom attention after she made her debut in New York at the Met. She herself said, "I became too famous for my own good".