Subject: Re: Julianna di Giacomo
From: James Camner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 31 Jul 2016 01:05:05 -0400

I hope she hasn't but if Julianna Di Giacomo has been reading some of these
sweepingly sour and cruel Opera-L opinions on on her abilities based on
Youtube samplings at least she can take solace in knowing that that there
have been preposterously wrong pronouncements madeabout singers who have
gone on to have fine, even spectacular careers. A perusal of Opera-L
comments on Anna Netrebko reveal wildly inaccurate and hugely negative
assessments of the singer who has firmly established herself as the most
important and dominant opera soprano since the days of Callas and Sutherland.

Not that Di Giacomo is going to be another Netrebko. But then, I'm not sure
that even a young Anna Netrebko would have the same future ahead of her
since the opera world is fast collapsing on itself like a black hole. It is
doubtful that there will be any more opera stars in any meaningful sense in
the future although I hope I'm proven wrong. It will be a sadder and much
less colorful world without them.

James Camner