Subject: Re: Barber's Vanessa after half a century - success or failure?
From: DMWagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 Sep 2014 19:11:03 -0700

...and Giorgio Tozzi.

I saw NYCO's revival in 2007, in which Rosalind, the original Erika (not Vanessa - that was Steber), portrayed, not for the first time and with great hauteur and pathos, the Old Baroness. Lauren Flanigan was Vanessa, and Richard Stilwell was the Old Doctor, essentially a baritone role despite being created by Tozzi (Harvuot was Tozzi's cover and did a performance or two).

I like Barber's music, and I like Vanessa. I like Antony & Cleopatra (Juilliard version, now standard), even better.

-David Wagner

Sent from my iPhone