Subject: Re: Future Met seasons (was Roberto Devereux)
From: James Bodge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 May 2014 14:47:04 -0700

While I largely agree with Alan, I'd suggest that the only  really
functional reason for avoiding TANNHAUSER is that impressari can't cast
the title role. Theaters that believe in standbys or understudies have
twice the problem.

The MET last did the work in 2005, with Peter Seifert. Before that was in
1997, with people like Wolfgang Schmidt and Jon Frederic West. But from
1977, when the staging was new, until 1987, Levine led several well cast
revivals, built around McCracken, Cassilly (mostly). WIlliam Johns was
conducted by Christof Perick in the 1992 revival.

Jim Bodge

****
On Sun, May 4, 2014 7:23 am, Alan Goldhammer wrote:
> I think one of the issues here is that Tannhauser for whatever reason has
> fallen out favor in many opera houses.  I don't know if it has ever been
> done by the Washington Opera whereas I've seen the company do Dutchman,
> Parsifal, and the first three Ring cycle operas.  I've not done a search
> of
> the Met database but it seems to me that it's not been done all that
> frequently recently (a search on Operabase only shows a scheduled
> performance in Chicago with Botha as the lead).  Maybe the best chance to
> see it live these days is at Bayreuth.  This may in part address the
> points
> that Ulrik made.
> Alan

You really only need two things: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If something is
stuck and it shouldn't be, use WD-40. If it's moving and it shouldn't, use
Duct Tape.

James Bodge  [log in to unmask]