Subject: Re: ? Dorothy Kirsten & Richard Tucker "Love Duet Act I" La Fanciulla del West" - YouTube
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 May 2014 12:38:33 -0400

Donald and David

Yup!  More or less.  Dorothy Kirsten was a very correct singer, well
schooled, with a very evenly produced voice, but she was not an
instinctive singer of opera.  Her natural affinity for show music is
obvious the moment one hears her. Language limitations were an issue.

Licia Albanese had a flawed voice after the mid forties, but her instincts
were often breathtaking.  Few have been able to draw as much from
modest natural resources as she.  And a ravishing top register didn't hurt.

Having said all that, Kirsten was a superb Minnie, a role I saw about
four times. Great, not good!

As Donald opined, we were lucky to have both of them.

If you want to hear the best of Kirsten in opera, try to find the
Thais duet with Merrill.  It is a thrill!

Bob