Subject: Re: ? Dorothy Kirsten & Richard Tucker "Love Duet Act I" La Fanciulla del West" - YouTube
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 May 2014 22:30:27 -0700

Her Butterfly tore my insides out.  Nobody (including Scotto) has come close for me.

When I saw her do Tosca (with young Domingo conducted by young Levine) in 1970, she had to be close to 60 but she looked and sounded terrific.  It wasn’t the “Wagnerian Banshee” Tosca we came to know from the likes of Rysanek, Jones, Shuard, Nilsson, et al, but I never found her voice inadequate or difficult to hear over the massive orchestra.  However big the orchestral climaxes, her always shined right above them.  She also had that one thing that Tebaldi, even in her early days, would have bargained with the devil for:  a really free, blazing high C that always sounded like it had plenty of headroom in reserve.

A friend told me she was the best Marguerite in “Faust” he had seen - she had an absolute hysterical fit at Valentine’s death.

More than anything, she was an incredibly smart singer who knew how to get the most out of her voice and how to satisfy without subjecting herself to any slight wear and tear.

I love the story of her at a dinner with Lily Pons in the early 70’s when Lily shouted across the table “Doroteeee - WHEN are you going to QUEEET?” to which she answered “NEEEEVER, Leeelee.”

Max Paley