Subject: Re: Bravo Brownlee!
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 May 2014 01:14:34 -0400

Hi Bob and list,

I haven't seen your and other messages until know; I had some guests right
after posting my impressions. When I heard Peretyatko's flat notes, I
thought there was no chance you and other discerning listeners would not
notice them. I didn't hear that many though and wasn't as disappointed as
you were but it wasn't nearly as good Elvira as some others I heard in the
past. (Callas is, of course, the golden standard for me.) I also listened
to the prima a couple of weeks ago and I thought she was better then, but I
never heard her before her Met debut ...

You had to hear the baritone who replaced the ill-disposed Kwiecien at the
prima to understand a relief to hear today's Riccardo, as blustery as he
was (no traces of illness this time, quite the opposite - too loud to my
ears).

It's a great opera and you are right, it deserves much better, except, of
course, the phenomenal Brownlee.

Were you (or any other listers) at that 1976 Met revival? It must have
received a lot of attention as it was not in the repertory for over 50
years. Or at any other more memorable I PURITANI?

Best, Vesna