Subject: Re: ? Dorothy Kirsten & Richard Tucker "Love Duet Act I" La Fanciulla del West" - YouTube
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 May 2014 04:43:49 +0000

This is my opinion only, and I'm not making any judgements on anyone's taste. For me, Dorothy Kirsten was far superior in Puccini than Licia Albanese. Kirsten's voice rings far more agreeably on my ear than does Albanese's, which I usually found dry, colorless, and aged. I suppose this is enough to bring on an onslaught of criticism, but I only know what my ears tell me. Of course, Albanese could never have sung Minnie, and it's strange to me that Kirsten actually could (given that she was basically a lyric soprano), and that Leontyne Price faltered in it. Whatever the case, I think that people tend to classify Kirsten as a "second rung" singer, which I personally disagree with. She would have been a wonderful Desdemona, Alice Ford, and possibly even a viable Madalena in "Chenier". Her Butterfly, Mimi, Tosca, and Manon Lescaut were, I feel, far superior to those of Albanese.
OK..........bring it on. I'm running for cover.