Subject: Re: Bravo Brownlee!
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 May 2014 20:56:56 -0400

That was not the premiere, Ron - that was the 3rd performance of the run.
Kwiechen was out for the first two (Maksim Aniskin filled in). The premiere (April
17) was broadcast on Sirius - that night Brownlee sang the F. The 2nd
performance was not broadcast. You're right that he didn't sing the F on Apr 29.

On one of the Sirius intermissions, he talked in an interview about warming up
and singing high notes - and mentioned that he can "scream" a high G, but
doesn't do that too often. The paradox being that he, like I imagine most if not all
singers, warms up at least a few notes higher than he has to sing in performance.
So that F might be tricky for him to gauge. But he seemed to know he *didn't*
have it last time.

I think the Met orchestra hates this piece. Well, that may be hyperbole, but I think
I heard a few moments of sloppy playing today - and I remember some of the
same (in different spots) in the premiere. I wonder what it is about this score
that seems to invite that. I think it was also the night of the Cosi premiere that
the oboist seemed to be having an off night. Being a musician myself, I
empathize - no performance is perfect. But that's one reason I really love getting
to hear all the Sirius performances when I can - it's very interesting to hear the
variances from night to night - including the orchestra.

On Sat, 3 May 2014 18:31:44 -0400, Ron Magnuson
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On May 3, 2014, at 5:42 PM, Bob Rideout wrote:
>
>> Brownlee was very fine, though that top F is freaky in sound and
>> beside the point of a musical experience. That aside, "Credeasi
>> misera" was wonderful.  He is a very fine singer!
>>
>> She is not!
>
>I did not listen today but I did hear the premier on Tuesday.  Bob's evaluation
was very accurate for that performance, as well.  The only difference is that
Brownlee did not attempt the F then.  Kwiecien was ill but still performed, which
was probably not a good decision.