Subject: Re: Boris Christoff centenary
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 May 2014 17:00:39 -0500

By a stroke of great luck, I was able to see all his Chicago roles. They included, believe-it-or-not, Colline and Guardiano - roles he didn’t sing all that often.

This was a bigger-than-life singer. Those of you who never experienced him onstage can’t begin to conceive of this man’s colossal talent as a singing actor. When he was on the stage you couldn’t take your eyes off him (unless he was partnered by Tito Gobbi - which happened several times here in Chicago, in “Nabucco” and several productions of “Don Carlo”). As I’ve mentioned before, the voice, which I wouldn’t describe as beautiful in the conventional sense, was considerably smaller that one would have expected from his recordings. But there was never a problem hearing him as he projected very well. The totality of his performances was overwhelming.

In my almost 65 years of opera-going I consider him the definitive Boris, Mefistofele and Filippo II. I count seeing him among the greatest pleasures I’ve ever had!

Kurt Youngmann

On May 3, 2014, at 9:11 AM, Rudi Van den Bulck <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> This month - on May 18 to be exact- we celebrate the centenary of the legendary bass BORIS CHRISTOFF. Our little tribute to this unique 'monstre sacré" including rare videoclips, photos and links on our homepage on http://www.operanostalgia.be
> RvdB

"Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.” -
Robert A. Heinlein