Subject: Re: Juntwait's bad pronunciation
From: DK Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 May 2014 13:07:32 -0400

To nitpick, Rundfunk is a masculine noun, hence it is *der* Bayerischer
Rundfunk.  But I agree that it is enjoyable to hear a host who is at ease in
different languages.  Just recently I heard a Dutch host on NTR Radio 4
switching absolutely seamlessly from Dutch to English and French.  Hosts on
the various German public broadcasting stations (not just BR) often switch
to English or other languages during interviews.

Juntwait's pronunciation flaws don't bother me as much as her and co-host
Ira Siff's irritatingly giggly mannerisms and habit of using a rising
inflection so that statements sound like questions...as annoying as Valley
speak.  Their on-air personalities sometimes degenerate to where they sound
like teenagers, and I do not mean that in a complimentary way.

I do think that singers should be held to a higher standard of
pronunciation.  But as someone else pointed out, diction is just as
important.  I have heard operas in English translation where I had no idea
what was being said and needed the surtitles--and operas sung in German with
diction so clear no titles or libretto were needed.

As for that New England accent (very marked to California ears), I am good
friends with someone from Massachusetts who consistently says "idee-r" for
"idea", and it doesn't matter where in the sentence the word appears.

DK