Subject: Re: Donna Anna's "Non mi dir" (Re: Today's HD "Cosi")
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 May 2014 02:12:19 -0400

On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 13:17:45 +0000, Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>"Come scoglio" from "Cosi" is almost impossible to sing, and the actual vocal
line amazes me. Such lows and such high's ----- and those "all over the place"
cadenzas leave no doubt as to why the of the singers of the "Golden Age" during
the 1900's 1910's, 1920's and 1930's
>remained blissfully ignorant of it. I'm not even sure that this aria was recorded
during those years.

Well, Florence Easton was hardly ignorant of "Come scoglio", since between
1922 and 1928 she sang it at the Met ten times. A shame she didn't record it...