Subject: Re: Most popular as opposed to favourite arias
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 May 2014 16:16:35 -0400

I'll take both, along with Bergonzi's 59 broadcast from the Met whose arias I heard yesterday. I also discovered a 1962 Ballo from the Met with Carlo, Leonie and Merrill.  I never saw Carlo and Leonie together live, so was interested in hearing how Carlo did in the duet competing with her glorious loud high notes. He pretty much held his own there and was near perfect in the rest of the opera.  I was somewhat surprised as to how wonderful Leonie was as Amelia.  Thrilling loud high notes, but also beautiful soft high notes too, along with very convincing vocal acting.  Whether he could act or not, Merrill's sound was glorious, so who cares?  For me, this was a great performance of Ballo, which IMO, is one of Verdi's greatest operas.