Subject: Re: Audra McDonald on Colbert Report
From: Donald Kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 May 2014 16:00:51 -0400

One of my favorites is LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME in which not even the slightest attempt was made by Doris Day to look, dress, or sound like Ruth Etting.
It was an interpretation of her life and era in 1950s,  style, but it awakened an interest in the real Ruth Etting on records, and was a solid piece of film entertainment.

The Padillo list is such a parade of hits and misses, it's hard to imagine any one person enjoying them all -
which brings me back to the Stefanie Blythe take on my beloved Kate Smith: briefly, it doesn't work for me,
and I'm not entirely sure why.   Why do I think Ferrer
and Traubel were terrific in the Romberg bio, and Lanza was lousy as Caruso?  And why would I give a lot to see Nureyev as Valentino again?   Imitation surely has
nothing to do with it.

dtmk