Subject: Re: Audra McDonald on Colbert Report
From: Sue Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 May 2014 12:01:57 -0700

Loved "Interrupted Melody!"  Let's not leave "Funny Girl" off our list.

Well, I'd've bought a ticket for Lady Day the play, and I'd've been impressed.  Clearly Audra McDonald worked with the material and mannerisms.  She sang with style and sang so well that I never felt that nagging suspicion that the performer wasn't going to deliver that we sometimes have in the theater or opera house.  That certainty protected Audra but worked against her portraying the fragility of Billie Holiday.  And I think what we got is absolutely the best we can hope for in this material. She isn't Billie Holiday, and she deserves her Tony.

Sue Harrison
Dallas, TX