Subject: Re: Audra McDonald on Colbert Report
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 7 May 2014 13:02:31 -0400

She was an undergrad voice major at Juilliard, so she certainly had classical goals in
mind originally. And she has done some opera professionally - whatever one may
have thought of John Doyle's feeble attempt at directing "Mahagonny" (and Patti
Lupone's *almost* vocally viable Begbick), Audra's Jenny was quite good (no one
for me will ever replace Stratas in the role, but Audra did very well with it). She has
also sung "La Voix Humaine." So she may not be a career opera singer, but she has
opera cred. Let alone that the musical theatre roles she's done (I'm including Bess
as a musical theatre role in context of the production) have been mostly more
"legit" singing (Carrie in "Carousel," Sarah in "Ragtime," "Marie Christine," Lizzie in
"110 In The Shade," etc).