Subject: Re: pets and opera: Wagner's dog Peps in Lohengrin
From: Leslie Barcza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Nov 2012 20:10:17 -0500

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 12:50:20 -0500, Donald Kane <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>There is no justification whatever to suggest that in
>Wagner's operas he displays any degree of love for animals
>that surpasses his love for human beings.
>It matches, I suppose, your idle attribution of "venom"
>on his part.
>
>dtmk

"No justification?" Speaking in absolutes is so wagnerian.  I was hoping for
someone to take up this topic, which admittedly might be reductive, to seek
connections between wagner's life & his works.  Maybe the idea is wrong.
But i think it's really interesting. E.g. I always thought of the swans as
symbolic creatures, but wagner brings such remarkable sympathy to these
passages that it occurs to me to ask whether it's at least partly motivated
by a concrete love of animals.  Is that such an odd question to ask,
particularly when we see these specimens showing Wagner's love for dogs? And
no, I am not asking you, dtmk, (at least no longer) as you've already
presented your usual credential: a closed mind.  BTW when i spoke of venom i
was thinking of Wagner's attack on his benefactor Meyerbeer.  No need to
mention anti-semitism.

   http://barczablog.com/