Subject: Re: Houston's "critics"
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 15 Nov 2012 10:29:55 -0500

William Albright wrote:

"I went opening night, and the divas were so terrible that I fled right
after the soprano's entrance aria."

Perhaps you left before they got good. :-)

As a Houstonian, I hope to catch one of those performances of "Capuleti" -
not something one hears every day, although not exactly a rarity.

Re the reviews:  yes, perhaps tin ears are the problem.  But equally likely
is that different people hear voices differently - as one can tell by
perusing the posts on opera-l re any singer one can name.  Also, in fairness
to the reviewers, they heard the entire performance, while you chickened out
and ran early in the evening.  (Who knows - Had I been there, I might have
been right behind you!)

Bayou City Greetings -
MDW