Subject: Re: I love these recent posts (opera love/bitching about opera
From: James Bodge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 15 Nov 2012 07:13:36 -0800

Two comments.  MET telecats began regularly in 1977, and there tended to
be four a season - all live - until about 1983.  Then they started taping
some and showing others live, but the understanding was that there was
little, if any, editing.  Even when there was.

The broadcasts hardly ended in the mid-80s as they were in their "boom
years" then, peaking in 1990 when 4 consecutive nights were devoted to the
RING cycle - and there were other telecasts that year as well.

But Volpe did let them wind down by the mid 1990s, in part because policy
changes at PBS made the telecasts less attractive to the t.v. network.
The PS telecasts didn't entirely disappear until about 2005, when
MEISTERSINGER was given - a performance that had been taped 4 years
earlier.  Was there another after that?  I can't recall.

On another note, Rudolf Bing always spelled his name as I just did.
Variations pop up on Opera-L from time to time, but he never wavered.

Jim Bodge